Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
Unique in Australia, the Master of Design is intellectually vibrant, socially engaging, visionary, practice-focused and actively linked to industry. The course centres on building a design community network and has two main components: specialised master classes led by a studio leader and industry partners; and theory and technology subjects taught across the program. The program focuses on and integrates research, industry collaboration, internationalisation and a design culture through the delivery of specialist, core and transdisciplinary subjects. It provides a postgraduate education that is flexible in both its practice orientation and research integration. With a focus on design evolution, innovative integration of new technologies, practice and student experimentation, this Master of Design is delivered by experienced studio leaders who are acknowledged leaders in their specific industries and professions.
Practising graduates of design
Students must complete 72 credit points comprising 36 credit points of core subjects and 36 credit points of design expertise subjects.
Standard entry requirements
- UTS recognised bachelor degree or equivalent in a design-related field with a mid-credit average. All applicants must provide a: digital portfolio of 10 x A4 landscape PDFs that display digital files, scans and/or photos of original design work, including a brief appraisal of what is good or lacking in each design
- 300-word statement addressing their reasons for undertaking postgraduate study in design at UTS
- CV that clearly articulates their design or related experience
- List of their existing software skills relevant to the design disciplines that they intend to study in. The English proficiency requirement for international students or local applicants with international qualifications is: Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0
- Or TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21
- Or AE5: Pass
- Or PTE: 58-64
- Or CAE: 176-184. Eligibility for admission does not guarantee offer of a place.
Students can exit this course after completing 48 credit points of specified subjects with a Graduate Diploma in Design or after completing 24 credit points of specified subjects with a Graduate Certificate in Design.
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
Graduates' careers are enhanced by high-level professional knowledge and skills for the workplace, with possession of specialised knowledge in advanced textiles, space and materials, interaction, sustainable design and innovation.