Melbourne is well-known for its city laneways, street art, food and cultural diversity — all of which make it a haven for students. Melbourne is named by QS University Rankings as one of the best student cities in the world.
With that said, Melbourne has some of the best primary schools with highly qualified teachers and programs. In Victoria, classes focus on math, science, environmental studies, technology and languages other than English. Here are some examples of top schools that accept international students in Victoria.
credit: Mentone Grammar - Eblana Campus
Mentone Grammar is known for its outstanding coeducation in Melbourne, Australia. Each year, the school welcomes international students in Years 9-12 and never fail to provide them with a dynamic and supportive learning environment which offers outstanding opportunities for the students.
The school has programmes from Early Learning to Year 12.
• Mary Jones ELC (3-4 yr old): At Mentone Grammar, ELC children have many opportunities to take their learning outside where they utilise campus facilities and resources. The school focuses on building strong relationships between the students and their families.
• Eblana Junior School (Year 4): Eblana is a place where students are encouraged to immerse themselves in the joys of music, theatre, drama and visual arts. All Eblana students will be a part of the sport and healthy activities to develop their physical and leadership skills.
• Bayview Middle Years (Year 5-8): Bayview is a gender-based Middle Years Program and during this time, the school offers a broad range of co-curricular experiences and academic programs that include studies around arts, technology, language and sport.
• Greenways Campus (Year 9): The program offers its students to explore teamwork and open their minds about issues such as sustainability, homelessness, disadvantage and youth mental health. A lot of art and sports programs are involved and by the end of year 9, the students will be prepared to move into their VCE years in Frogmore.
• Frogmore Campus (Year 10-12): Students are free to customise their learning experience with Mentone Grammars strong academic programs. The senior campus has a positive learning culture and promotes a sense of wellbeing among all students
credit: ELTHAM College
ELTHAM College offers a unique experience to international students. The school creates a healthy student environment where students can maximise their unique potential and confidence. The college is dedicated to internationalism and offers student exchange programs with selected overseas schools.
ELTHAM College has a wide range of curriculum which allows students to follow their aspirations and abilities. Some programmes they offer to international students are,
• Speciality subjects: English as an Additional Language (EAL), Native Language, Australian Perspectives and English Pathways
• LifeSkills Program: This program prepares Senior international students to participate in a life skill program where they develop cultural understanding and cover wellbeing issues
• VCE (Year 11-12): This certificate provides entry to not only Australian universities but tertiary institutions globally.
St Kilda Road, Elsternwick, Glen Waverley
Wesley College is a leading co-educational International Baccalaureate (IB) World School. Established for more than 150 years, Wesley College is one of the top VCE and IB schools in Australia, attracting students from a diverse range of countries and cultures.
Wesley College is the first authorised IB World School in Victoria to offer the IB curriculum framework from early childhood learning through to Year 12. It offers the IB across three programmes:
- The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP): Three-year-olds to Year 6
- The Middle Years Programme (IB MYP): Years 7–10
- The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB DP): Years 11 and 12
In 2018, 45 per cent of their Year 12 students studied the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB DP) and have successfully scored an outstanding ID BP median ATAR of 93.30.
Lauriston Girls’ School
Lauriston Girls’ School is one of Australia’s leading schools that aims to provide the best teachers and methods to every student. The school accepts international students across different year levels:
- Kindergarten: Co-educational three and four-year-old programs based on the Reggio Emilia philosophy
- Junior School: A focus on literacy and numeracy, and a special enrichment program experience
- Senior school: Study either the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme or the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
Mentone Girls’ Grammar School
Mentone Girls’ Grammar School is situated on the east coast of Port Phillip Bay, 20km from Melbourne’s central business district. The school accepts international students across different year levels:
- Early Learning Centre (ELC): The school offers the flexibility of three, four or five-day options for both three and four-year-old programs. Co-curricular activities include ballet, music, movement and library and technology programs.
- Junior School: Students undergo different learning programs each year. The collective programs include literacy and numeracy skills, social skills, STEM skills and language. The schools offer languages such as Mandarin, French, German and Japanese.
- Senior School: Students will participate in an array of core subjects and explore different work experiences while undergoing professional career planning. Students will also take part in varied co-curricular opportunities such as sports and interschool competition, music, drama, debating and public speaking.
credit: Scotch College Melbourne
Scotch College Melbourne
Scotch College is one of the oldest boys’ schools in Victoria and is in the heart of suburban Melbourne. The school is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church of Victoria and its Christian teachings support their philosophy and practices. The school offers its students junior, senior and boarding school programs:
- Junior School: The Junior School programmes are aimed at developing leadership skills in boys of all ages. The co-curricular activities range from leadership programs, drama, music, sports, Christian education, and languages. German language is provided from Year 1–6 and after-school Chinese Club is offered to boys in Years 4– 6.
- Senior School: The school offers a Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) program for all students. A broad and comprehensive curriculum is also offered to the boys to help them to work on personal development. Available activities range from music, drama, art, cadet training, sport and languages. Year 7 students can select to learn two languages out of French, German, Italian, Mandarin and Indonesian.
credit: Australian International Academy of Education
Australian International Academy of Education
Coburg, North Coburg, Caroline Springs
The Australian International Academy of Education (AIA) is a leading Muslim school that promotes excellence in their diverse programmes. The school offers prep, IB primary year programmes, middle year programs, IB DP, and VCE across three campuses:
- King Khalid Coburg Campus: Prep-Year 5
- Caroline Springs Campus: Prep-Year 10
- Melbourne Senior Campus: Year 6 – Year 12
As Australia’s first Muslim college, AIA’s primary school was set up in 1999. The AIA believes in the importance of catering for the education of Australian Muslim children and offers students Islamic study programs and has language programs that teach their students to speak Arabic or Turkish.