Published May 2022
Good news for anyone currently in (or thinking about studying) Western Australia: an exciting new package of $41.2 million has been announced! This funding has been designed to help boost WA’s international education sector and improve the study experience for international students.
The areas of priority include building a pipeline of future onshore international education students, re-engagement of the international education agent network and providing financial support for sector recovery.
In a media statement, International Education Minister David Templeman says, “We have consulted extensively with the international education sector over the past few months and have based this package on their input.”
New scholarships for international students in Western Australia
Two new scholarship programs have been announced:
- The Premier's University Scholarships – worth a total of $2 million over four years, will provide funding for 10 one-year scholarships valued at $50,000 each per annum. The aim of these scholarships is to attract high-achieving international students to WA's universities.
- The Premier's WA Certificate of Education Bursary – A further $4 million over four years will be provided to implement the Premier's WA Certificate of Education Bursary, which will provide support of $20,000 per annum to 50 offshore WACE graduates from WA's international partner schools.
Other initiatives relevant to you
- $6.8 million for the continuation of the ELICOS Bursary and the International Student Accommodation Subsidy to attract international students to Western Australia
- $400,000 for the creation of a school support program to encourage international students studying within the school sector to continue their student journey with a WA education provider
- $3 million for the WA Technical and Vocational Education and Training Consortium to support the development of offshore opportunities and student pipeline creation
You can find more information about the package here.