Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
The Juris Doctor Master of Business Administration is a graduate law and business degree that builds on the established reputations of UTS: Law and the UTS Business School to provide high-calibre, graduate-level education in the theory and practice of the law and business. It is specifically designed for graduates of disciplines other than law. This course provides students with an integrated exposure to professional practice in both legal and business contexts. Career options include, but are not limited to, lawyer within a private firm, government department or community law centre, regulatory affairs and policy adviser in the public or private sector or legal specialisation related to students' previous degree or enhanced career options within an existing professional sphere.
Graduates of disciplines other than law
- The course comprises a total of 192 credit points. The study components for course completion are as follows: 96 credit points of compulsory core law subjects (13 subjects)
- 48 credit points of compulsory core business subjects (eight subjects)
- 18 credit points of law options (three subjects)
- a 6-credit-point legal theory option (one subject)
- 24 credit points of business law sub-major subjects (four subjects). The maximum course duration is four years of full-time study. Subjects may also be available in Summer session.
- Business administration
Standard entry requirements
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies. Previous qualifications must be in a discipline other than law or a law qualification from an overseas jurisdiction. Admission is at the discretion of the associate dean (education), Faculty of Law. The English proficiency requirement for international students or local applicants with international qualifications is: Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0
- Or TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21
- Or AE5: Pass
- Or PTE: 58-64
- Or CAE: 176-184.
This course satisfies the requirements for admission as a lawyer to the Supreme Court of NSW, provided students undertake a PLT program, such as the Graduate Certificate in Professional Legal Practice.
Students who completed postgraduate electives as part of their Juris Doctor candidature may apply to have credit towards the Juris Doctor Master of Business Administration. To practise as a lawyer in NSW, students need to successfully complete an accredited legal qualification and an accredited course of practical legal training (PLT), which UTS offers through its PLT program. Students enrolled in the Juris Doctor Master of Business Administration who wish to practise as lawyers in NSW can complete the requirements by undertaking a PLT program, such as the Graduate Certificate in Professional Legal Practice.
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
The Juris Doctor component of the program may be awarded with honours. An additional year of study is not required. To qualify for honours, a student must complete 78102 LLM Project by Research within CBK90858 Options (JD).