Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
This program is designed for professionals to study in depth a range of areas related to education. Participants may choose from a range of units from different areas or specialise in the areas of Gifted and Talented: Teaching for High Potential; Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL); or Careers and Transition Education. Some units are related to the school curriculum. However, these units are not intended for the purposes of teacher preparation in any particular method. The Careers Transition Education specialisation is an approved post-graduate program designed to prepare teachers for employment as a careers advisor.
Practising educators who do not have a specialist qualification
24 credit points (equivalent to 4 standard units) including either a choice of listed units, or prescribed units from a Major.
- Careers and transition education
- Teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL)
Standard entry requirements
- A 3-year or 4 year pre-service teaching qualification of a recognised University or tertiary institution
- Or a bachelor degree and a 1 or 2 year pre-service teaching qualification of a recognised University
- Or a bachelor degree in Linguistics and a minimum Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (TESOL specialisation only)
- Or a bachelor degree in a non-relevant discipline and be able to document relevant professional experience comprising at least one year full-time (or equivalent) as a School Career Advisor or Career Development practitioner in TAFE, universities, business organisations, government agencies or private practice (Careers and Transition specialisation only). All students must meet the University's English Language requirements.
The Career Industry Council of Australia (CICA) has endorsed the program with the Careers and Transition Education specialisation as meeting the Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners. This specialisation is recognised and endorsed by the NSW Department of Education as an approved post-graduate program designed to prepare teachers for employment as a careers advisor.
Students may be eligible for credit (advanced standing) for previously completed studies. The Graduate Certificate in Education Studies articulates with the Master of Education.
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|UNE Armidale (main campus)||International: $13,440||Yes|
Campuses: UNE Armidale (main campus).
CSP quotas apply
The TESOL specialisation may require professional experience working with children in an educational setting, which has additional requirements to be met.