Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
If you want to build on your undergraduate degree to become a teacher, this course is for you.
Graduates who wish to qualify as secondary school teachers
- Students must undertake Professional Experience (Placement) as follows: First Semester: 5 observation days
- Second Semester: 5 weeks (25 days)
- Third Semester: 7 weeks (35 days) TOTAL: 60 days supervised professional placement. To be eligible for the award of Master of Teaching (Secondary), a student must have satisfactorily completed 240 credit points and a minimum of 60 days supervised teaching practice. It is highly recommend that all on-line students attend the Orientation Week at either Mt Helen Campus or Gippsland Campus.
- Understanding and supporting young people
- Engaging professionally
- Education, ITS purpose and the cultural landscape, Literacy, language and literature
- Inquiry into practice, Feedback, assessment and reporting
- Health and physical education curriculum
- Primary science education
- Integrating curriculum: humanities and the arts.
Standard entry requirements
Entry requirements (year 12) Applicants with current or recent secondary education are not eligible to apply for this course. Entry requirements (non year 12) Prerequisite Bachelor Degree: An approved 3 year degree or equivalent.This course uses the entire academic record as part of its selection considerations. Applicants with a Vocational Education and Training study are not eligible to apply for this course. Applicants with work and life experience are not eligible to apply for this course.
Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT)
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Mount Helen (Ballarat)||International: $56,280||No|
This is an accelerated program which may be completed in 1.5 years, although it is possible for students to complete the program over 2 or 3 years on a part-time basis on campus. If students wish to complete the program on a part-time basis they will need to consult with the Program Coordinator. Online is offered on a part-time basis only over 3 years. Please note that not all Specialist Teaching Areas are offered online.