Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
The Doctor of Physiotherapy offers an innovative problem based learning model of physiotherapy education to prepare entry level physiotherapists for their roles and responsibilities as first contact practitioners. The program integrates the clinical, pathological and related sciences with the physiotherapy knowledge, skills and professional behaviours and attitudes required to examine, diagnose and treat physiotherapy clients. The Doctor of Physiotherapy assists students to progressively develop and apply their knowledge, skills and professional attitudes and behaviour for physiotherapy practice and places a strong emphasis on clinical experiential learning with 50 per cent of the program undertaken in a clinical context. The first 30 weeks of clinical practice addresses five core areas in both hospital and community settings and one elective. Variable experiences across the lifespan are sought in the clinical areas of: Orthopaedics Cardio-respiratory practice; Out-patient musculo-skeletal practice (hospital or private practice settings); Neurological and ortho-geriatric rehabilitation (hospital and community settings); Chronic Disease and Disability, whether paediatric or adult in context Paediatrics or women's / men's health, or private / sports practice In the final semester, the program culminates in a 12-week clinical internship with an aligned research project. This extending clinical / research opportunity is designed to ensure graduates are well prepared for entry into the physiotherapy workforce.
Sports science, exercise science or related discipline graduates seeking a professional physiotherapy qualification
- 4 subjects per semester for 6 semesters (2 years). 50% of the program is undertaken in a clinical context. The first 30 weeks of clinical practice addresses 5 core areas in both hospital and community settings and 1 elective. Variable experiences across the lifespan are sought in the clinical areas of Orthopaedics
- Cardio-respiratory practice
- Out-patient musculo-skeletal practice (hospital or private practice settings)
- Neurological and ortho-geriatric rehabilitation (hospital and community settings)
- Chronic Disease and Disability, whether paediatric or adult in context
- Paediatrics or women's/men's health, or private/sports practice. The program culminates with a 12-week clinical internship with aligned research project in the final semester.
Standard entry requirements
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science degree, or Bachelor of Biomedical Science degree from Bond University, or equivalent degree from a recognised institution
- Specific coursework required
- Plus transcripts of primary degree and specific subject outlines
- As well as an interview
Australian Physiotherapy Council
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Gold Coast||International: $147,840||Yes|
Campuses: Gold Coast.
If students are an Australian Citizen or a holder of a permanent humanitarian visa they may be eligible for assistance under the Australian Government program called FEE-HELP.
The Doctor of Physiotherapy is approved for student income support.