Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
The Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts in International Studies is a combined degree in the sciences, language and culture. In the science component, students may select any one of the nine different majors leading to the award of a science degree with the chosen major. Students can also opt not to choose a major but select a range of science subjects to tailor their study according to their interests. In the international studies component, students are immersed in another language and culture. Students choose an in-country study major to learn the language and culture. Students live overseas for a year experiencing the international component as part of their combined degree. Students develop practical scientific and mathematical skills with an international dimension. International study is unique as it allow students to gain qualifications in language, intercultural and international awareness to a specific country of their choice. This added dimension expands students' career opportunities and employability in the global workplace. The Bachelor of Science Bachelor of Arts in International Studies is aimed at increasing students' awareness of international contexts and producing graduates who are well prepared for professional careers in science in an international setting. Career options include those listed for the single Bachelor of Science degree, but global opportunities are enhanced by the international perspective provided by the international studies component and by the specific language and culture chosen.
All students must complete 240 credit points of study, comprising 144 credit points relating to the Bachelor of Science and 96 credit points relating to the Bachelor of Arts in International Studies. The Bachelor of Arts in International Studies requires undergraduates to study a region or country major over a minimum of three years. The Bachelor of Arts in International Studies is not offered as a separate degree, but is completed only in combination with the professional degree program. Graduation from the science component of the combined degree is not possible prior to completion of all components of the combined degree. This course is offered over five years full time. Full-time attendance involves approximately 20 hours each week on campus. Students spend two sessions of study at a university or other higher education institution in the country of their major.
- Applied chemistry
- Applied physics
- Biomedical science
- Environmental sciences
- Medical science
- Physics and advanced materials
Standard entry requirements
- Year 12 qualification, AQF Diploma, or equivalent qualification at the required level. Admission to the combined degree is on merit. There is a range of entry levels to the various language and culture programs. Students are admitted to the international studies program with no guarantee of entry to a specific major, although every effort is made to meet students' preferences. The English proficiency requirement for international students or local applicants with international qualifications is: Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0
- Or TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21
- Or AE5: Pass
- Or PTE: 58-64
- Or CAE: 176-184. Assumed knowledge includes: Mathematics
- And at least one science subject. There are no prior language requirements for the international studies program. HSC Mathematics Extension 1 is recommended for those majoring in mathematics/statistics.
The Bachelor of Science (Honours) is available in all disciplines as an additional year to meritorious students.
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
Visa requirement: To obtain a student visa to study in Australia, international students must enrol full time and on campus. Australian student visa regulations also require international students studying on student visas to complete the course within the standard full-time duration. Students can extend their courses only in exceptional circumstances.