Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
This course is designed to develop practitioners in music and sound design with a strong base of artistic, professional and theoretical skills. The UTS Bachelor of Music and Sound Design is the first of its kind to combine the domains of music, sound and screens (film, TV, internet, games, online). Subjects focus on developing real-world skills for the digital sound industry. The course also involves input from leading industry figures, including sound designers, songwriters, producers, and other professionals from the creative industries. The degree integrates the study of sound and music with a major in the language and culture of another country. This course appeals to students with an interest in popular music, sound design, creative arts, or interactive multimedia. It offers a contemporary music and sound design degree that focuses on the production and analysis of sound for various media, including interactive environments. By the time of graduation, students should have a professional portfolio of music production and sound design work demonstrating their creativity and professionalism.
Students must complete 240 credit points, comprising 144 credit points in music and sound design and 96 credit points in international studies. The music and sound design component is made up of 48 credit points of major subjects, 24 credit points of professional subjects, 24 credit points of core subjects and 24 credit points of electives. The Bachelor of Arts in International Studies requires undergraduates to study a region or country major over a minimum of three years. The Bachelor of Arts in International Studies is not offered as a separate degree, but is completed only in combination with the professional degree program. Students spend their fourth year of study at a university overseas.
- Audio cultures
- Citizenship and communication
- Foundations in international studies
- Synthesis and sound design
- Songwriting and composition for context
- Canada (Quebec)
- Latino USA
Standard entry requirements
- Australian Year 12 qualification, AQF Diploma, or equivalent Australian or overseas qualification at the required level. The English proficiency requirement for international students or local applicants with international qualifications is: Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0
- Or TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21
- Or AE5: Pass
- Or PTE: 58-64
- Or CAE: 176-184. Eligibility for admission does not guarantee offer of a place. International students: To obtain a student visa to study in Australia, international students must enrol full time and on campus. Australian student visa regulations also require international students studying on student visas to complete the course within the standard full-time duration. Students can extend their courses only in exceptional circumstances.
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|City||International: $206,640||No||No information available|
Career options include working in sound design and production across a diverse range of media, communication and design outlets including music, film, animation, web, gaming, interactive digital media, exhibition design and architecture. Other career options include electronic music composer, computer musician, sound designer, music producer, new media artist, interactive media designer, digital musical interface designer, and installation artist/sound sculptor.