University of South Australia (UniSA)

Bachelor of Social Work (MBSW)

University of South Australia (UniSA)

Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
Level: Undergraduate
CRICOS: 00121B

The Bachelor of Social Work provides students with a sound knowledge of the political, behavioural and social sciences, and equips them with the skills to work in a range of fields in social work and human services. It has been developed around four major areas of study: social work theory; social work practice and skills; social policy; and social research.


  • 144 units
  • 81 units of core studies, social policy and social work theory
  • 4.5 units of free elective
  • 31.5 units of practice skills
  • 27 units of field placements


  • Social Work

Standard entry requirements

  • Qualify for South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE) with competitive ATAR
  • OR complete secondary education equivalent to SACE
  • Complete International Baccalaureate Diploma
  • Complete or partially complete higher education program
  • Complete four Open Universities Australia courses at undergraduate level or above
  • Complete a Cert IV level or above
  • Qualify for special entry
  • Complete a Foundation Studies program AND meet any pre-requisite and academic requirements. International students who speak English as a foreign language must have obtained the required standards prior to admission.


Graduates are eligible for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers.

Study pathways

Students may be eligible to apply for entry to the Bachelor of Social Work (Honours). There is also the opportunity to complete a double degree by combining studies with Aboriginal Cultures and Australian Society.

Study information

CampusFeesMid year intakeAttendance
Magill International: $112,000 No
  • Full-time : 4 years
Mount Gambier International: $112,000 No
Whyalla International: $112,000 No

Further information

All students studying this degree are required to complete criminal history screening through the Department of Communities and Social Inclusion prior to being accepted for work placements. Students must also hold a current Child Safe Environments Certificate. Some placements may also require a current driver's licence and a recognised First Aid Certificate.

Related courses

Browse more courses
Is the information on this page correct? Request update
Enquire about this course

Are you currently in Australia?

You must agree before submitting.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Join the conversation