Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
This postgraduate course will help students take their skills from their undergraduate degree to become a teacher. Students may be looking to change their career or have decided after finishing their undergraduate degree, that teaching is what they really want to do. Students will graduate from this degree with the confidence and skills to teach in primary school across Australia and overseas. It's a hands-on course that gets students out into the classroom for a minimum of 60 days, where they can put what they have learnt into practice. Students will discover how children learn and how they can help to develop and support their learning. Students will look at examples from around the world, and learn how to best work with children from diverse backgrounds. Choose from two years full time or three years part time study.
Graduates wishing to become primary school teachers
This program consists of eight core subjects and two elective depth study subjects, as well as fieldwork placements. A major learning experience for students is the supervised teaching practicum where students are required to teach in secondary schools for a minimum of 60 days.
- Understanding and supporting young people
- Engaging professionally, Mathematics, numeracy and learner engagement
- Education, ITS purpose and the cultural landscape, Literacy, language and literature
- Inquiry into practice, Feedback, assessment and reporting
- Health and physical education curriculum
- Primary science education
- Integrating curriculum: humanities and the arts.
Standard entry requirements
- Recognised degree or equivalent diploma. Students will be required to complete a Working With Children Check (WWCC). In addition to the application, applicants should refer to extra application requirements. Applicants must complete and submit an Additional Details form including a one page statement explaining why they would like to become a Primary Teacher, and outlining the capacities that they have that are relevant to the profession. Candidates must also have a Referee Report completed and returned. Applicants may also be required to have an interview. Academic IELTS with an Overall score of 7.0
- With 7.0/7.5 in listening and speaking and no less than 6.5 in reading and writing.
Completion of this program will allow graduates to be registered as a graduate primary teacher with a master's qualification.
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Mount Helen (Ballarat)||International: $53,600||No|
Students will be required to apply for a Working with Children Check card before commencing their program. A copy must be supplied prior to commencing placements. This program is also available via off-campus/ online learning, in combination with compulsory teaching placements. Students will be required to complete examinations either on-campus, or at an approved remote exam location in their region, under supervision. Please note, this study mode is only available part-time (over 3 years).