Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
The Bachelor of Sport and Outdoor Education degree has core studies that provide an extensive knowledge and skills base in human health, wellness and performance, with a specific focus on the role of sport, exercise and outdoor education. This is addressed from a psychological, physiological, exercise prescription and outdoor education perspective, explored in the contexts of community health, well-being, recreational physical activity, sports performance and outdoor education leadership. Industry-relevant practicum experience is embedded in the course.
240 credit points. Students are required to complete 140 hours of appropriate industry experience (practicum).
- Growth, motor development and ageing
- Foundations of the outdoor experience
- Anatomical foundations of exercise science
- The aquatic environment and the outdoor experience
- Journeying in the natural world
- plus more
Standard entry requirements
- Year 12 level, or equivalent. NSW Prerequisites: English (Standard) - Band 3 Recommended studies: Personal Development, Health and Physical Education, Mathematics (any), Biology, Chemistry or Physics
- QLD Prerequisites: English (4, SA) Recommended studies: Health Education, Physical Education, Mathematics (any), Biology, Chemistry, Physics
- VIC Prerequisites: A study score of at least 30 in English (EAL) or 25 in any other English.
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to: higher degree studies in Education, if seeking teacher registration (dependent upon elective choices); postgraduate studies in High Performance Sport; one-year Honours courses, for meritorious students preparing for higher degree research; further study in other allied health professions; further study in nutrition/dietetics (dependent upon elective choices).
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Brisbane (McAuley at Banyo)||International: $70,872||No||No information available|
|Melbourne (St Patrick's)||International: $70,872||No||No information available|
|Strathfield (Mount Saint Mary)||International: $70,872||No||No information available|
Examples of the work and settings the course prepares graduates for: Government and non-government health, sport and recreation departments; Outdoor Education Instructor; Corporate fitness; Commercial and educational outdoor leader; Adventure therapy; Outdoor recreation leadership; Camp director/manager/programmer; Exercise scientist; Health and fitness consultant; Sports coach; Fitness advisor; Physical activity officer; Allied health assistant.