Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
We'll help you become an engaging, motivating and innovative secondary school teacher.
Our Bachelor of Secondary Education will see you gain a deep knowledge of two specialist teaching areas combined with valuable classroom experience. You will graduate with the confidence to connect with young people and teach from year 7 through to VCE. We give you the option of two streams to complete your degree – you can choose a major and minor or a double major.
- Majors: Humanities, Art (Mt Helen and Gippsland), English, Science, Senior Science.Double major stream specialisations: English, Science, Mathematics, Physical Education, Psychology, Outdoor Education, History, Information Technology.
Standard entry requirements
- Admissions Criteria for current Year 12 students and recent secondary graduates (the past 2 years)Prerequisites•Units 1 and 2: satisfactory completion in two units (any study combination) of Maths: General Mathematics, Maths: Mathematical Methods or Maths: Specialist Mathematics or Units 3 and 4: any Mathematics
- •Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 30 in English (EAL) or at least 25 in English other than EAL•Casper TestATARThis course uses the ATAR as part of its selection considerations.Minimum ATAR including selection adjustments: The minimum selection rank for this course, is equivalent to an ATAR of 70.00. If applicable, this includes adjustment factors related to subject adjustments and SEAS.Guaranteed ATAR: If you receive an ATAR of 70.00 or higher and complete all the requirements for this course, you will be guaranteed an offer.Selection rank adjustmentsSubject AdjustmentsA study score of 35 in any Humaniites, any History, Literature, Legal Studies or Philosphy equals 3 aggregate points per study. Overall maximum of 5 points.SEAS (Special Entry Access Scheme)Applicants who have experienced educational disadvantage are encouraged to apply for the Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS). Depending on eligibility and your circumstances, a SEAS application may provide support for your course application. For further information go to Federation University Australia SEAS information and the Federation University Australia websiteEntry requirements (non year 12)Admissions Criteria for applicants with a higher education study•Satisfactory completion of at least one year of tertiary study in a relevant field
- And•Meets the VCE Maths and English requirement benchmarks.•Casper TestAdmissions Criteria for applicants with a vocational education and training study•Successful completion of a TAFE qualification at Certificate III or IV in a cognate or appropriate area, such as Community Services, Education Support, Children's Services, or Nursing
- And•At least one year of experience in a relevant area of education or support service and
- •Meets the VCE Maths and English requirement benchmarks.OR•Successful completion of a recognised TAFE Diploma program in a cognate or an appropriate area and
- •Meets the VCE Maths and English requirement benchmarks.•Casper TestLiteracy and numeracy testIf VCE Maths and/or English requirements or equivalent have not been met, a Literacy and/or Numeracy assessment is required to demonstrate the pre-requisite requirements. Applicants required to complete the assessment will be notified.Admissions Criteria for applicants with work and life experienceApplicants who have not completed secondary education, or undertaken any TAFE or university studies will not be eligible for entry into this program. Applicants in this category should consider a pathway program such as Foundation Access Studies (FAST) ProgramEssential requirements for selection and applicationCasper Test (Altus Suite)All applicants are required to complete Altus Suite as part of their application. Altus Suite is a requirement for many of the initial teacher training courses in Victoria. It is a non-cognitive online test designed to assess an applicant's personal and professional attributes. To register for your sitting or for further information about the assessment, visit https://takealtus.comAltus Suite:•Casper: 60-90 minute online, open-response situational judgment test (SJT)Don’t miss the deadlines for each offer round
- Https://takealtus.com/dates-times/.Essential requirements for enrolment or graduationLiteracy and numeracy test for initial teacher education (LANTITE)Prior to graduation, students will be required to demonstrate they have achieved approved benchmarks in literacy and numeracy as demonstrated throug hthe Literacy and Numeracy Test in Initial Teacher Education (LANTITE). Visit our LANTITE webpage for more informationWorking with children checkApplicants will be required to hold a valid Working with Children (WWC). Check prior to undertaking professional placements.
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Gippsland (Churchill)||International: $100,000||No|
|Mount Helen (Ballarat)||International: $100,000||No|
Browse more courses
Enquire about this course