Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
This course is designed to develop practitioners in music and sound design with a strong base of artistic, professional and theoretical skills. The UTS Bachelor of Music and Sound Design is the first of its kind to combine the domains of music, sound and screens (film, TV, internet, games, online). Subjects focus on developing real-world skills for the digital sound industry. Students graduate with a portfolio of sound works demonstrating their creativity and professionalism. The course also involves input from leading industry figures, including sound designers, songwriters, producers, and other professionals from the creative industries. The course appeals to students with an interest in popular music, sound design, creative arts, or interactive multimedia. It offers a contemporary music and sound design degree that focuses on the production and analysis of sound for various media, including interactive environments.
Students must complete 144 credit points, comprising 48 credit points of major subjects, 24 credit points of professional subjects, 24 credit points of core subjects and 48 credit points of electives. Songwriting skills are applied to real-world needs, and all students have the opportunity for a professional internship.
- Audio cultures
- Citizenship and communication
- Communicating difference
- Singing and vocality
- Songwriting and composition for context
- Synthesis and sound design
- Screen soundtrack production
Standard entry requirements
- Applicants must have completed an Australian Year 12 qualification, AQF Diploma, or equivalent Australian or overseas qualification at the required level. The English proficiency requirement for international students or local applicants with international qualifications is: Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0
- Or TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21
- Or AE5: Pass
- Or PTE: 58-64
- Or CAE: 176-184. Eligibility for admission does not guarantee offer of a place. International students: To obtain a student visa to study in Australia, international students must enrol full time and on campus. Australian student visa regulations also require international students studying on student visas to complete the course within the standard full-time duration. Students can extend their courses only in exceptional circumstances.
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|City||International: $115,200||No||No information available|
Career options include working in sound design and production across a diverse range of media, communication and design outlets including music, film, animation, web, gaming, interactive digital media, exhibition design and architecture. Other career options include electronic music composer, computer musician, sound designer, music producer, new media artist, interactive media designer, digital musical interface designer, and installation artist/sound sculptor.