Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
The Bachelor of Biotechnology provides students with a broad knowledge of modern biotechnology and its applications. Algal biofuels, stem cell therapy and new methods of disease diagnosis are just a few projects that biotechnologists are working on today. This course provides students with a good understanding of biological processes of living organisms and the skills required to naturally manipulate these processes in the development of new medicines, environmental management, data analysis and biosensor technology. Students gain broad knowledge of modern biotechnology and practical skills in ethics, law and business processes. Biotechnology is the science of the future and graduates have high employment rates due to the course's strong professional and industry focus. Graduates of this course gain a professional qualification in biological science and a strong foundation in the commercial aspects of biotechnology. Career options include positions in research, development and production in chemical, pharmaceutical, medical, biomedical, agricultural, environmental, energy, communications and manufacturing companies. Graduates could work in product development in a variety of industries including pharmaceuticals, agriculture, wineries or breweries, quality control in food and public health, drug research such as anti-cancer vaccines, defence technologies and the mining industry.
Students must complete a total of 144 credit points, made up of 54 credit points of core subjects, a 66-credit-point major and 24 credit points of electives. Students can complete the course over three years full time. Full-time attendance involves approximately 24 hours each week on campus. Students may also be able to complete the course part time, usually at the rate of two subjects a session (a 50 per cent load), taking six years to complete. Part-time students are required to attend some classes in daytime hours.
- Medical biotechnology
- Environmental biotechnology
- Computational biotechnology
- Biosensor technology
Standard entry requirements
- Applicants must have completed an Australian Year 12 qualification, Australian Qualifications Framework Diploma, or equivalent Australian or overseas qualification at the required level. The English proficiency requirement for international students or local applicants with international qualifications is: Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0
- Or TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21
- Or AE5: Pass
- Or PTE: 58-64
- Or CAE: 176-184. The following are assumed knowledge: Mathematics
- And at least one science subject. HSC Mathematics Extension 1 and Chemistry are recommended.
The faculty is awaiting recognition from AusBiotech for this course.
The Bachelor of Biotechnology (Honours) is available to eligible students with an additional one year of full-time study.
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
Visa requirement: To obtain a student visa to study in Australia, international students must enrol full time and on campus. Australian student visa regulations also require international students studying on student visas to complete the course within the standard full-time duration. Students can extend their courses only in exceptional circumstances.