Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
The Master of Teaching (Primary) is a graduate entry, pre-service teacher education course for those who want to qualify as a primary school teacher. Become a primary school teacher who is reflective, independent and a flexible thinker. Learn how to apply your skills to improve learning outcomes for students from ages five to twelve.This course will enable you to engage with the breadth of curriculum and pedagogical knowledge required by a primary classroom teacher. You will graduate with specialist knowledge and understanding of not only literacy and numeracy but of all learning areas of the primary school curriculum. Building on your undergraduate studies, you will develop a teaching specialisation in one area of the primary curriculum.
160 credit points. Students must complete a minimum of 60 days professional experience during which time they are required to be available full-time. Professional experience covers all school and community-based experience designed to help students develop professional competence and personal commitment, in accordance with the expressed Catholic philosophy of the University. The professional experience units apply skills, techniques and processes taught in the Foundations Studies and Professional Studies units. Professional experience units are planned as a specific sequence allowing for progressive development of both classroom-based proficiency and an understanding of the relevance of theory to practice and practice to theory. The practicum will be supported by other forms of in-school experiences, such as school-based tutorials and workshops. Certain prerequisite or co-requisite units are required before students are placed in schools. Supervised professional experience is at the heart of all our pre-service teacher education courses and the Faculty will find appropriate placements to suit the needs of your course. Placements will usually be arranged for the scheduled placement period in the professional experience calendar though this may not always be possible. In Victoria, part-time students do not commence the Professional Experience program until the second year of the course. The Professional Experience program consists of a minimum of 9 weeks of teaching rounds, usually broken into two blocks. In Queensland, students are required to complete 100 days of professional experience to be eligible for teacher registration with the Queensland College of Teachers. This involves 80 supervised days and 20 days of observation.
- Early childhood and primary
- Inclusive education and disability studies
- Inclusive practice
- Inclusive practice and special education
- Indigenous education
- Primary education
- Teaching mathematics
Standard entry requirements
- An applicant must also comply with the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy. To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must: have successfully completed a Bachelor degree or equivalent qualification, with subject content studies equivalent to one year full-time study in one or more learning areas of the primary school curriculum
- Demonstrate suitability for teaching as evidenced by completion of an assessment available in the relevant State at the time of application. International applicants need to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements as defined in the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy. Any applicant who completed a Bachelor degree outside Australia should review the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy to determine if they are required to meet additional English Language Proficiency requirements for entry into the course. Any applicant who completed a Bachelor degree outside Australia intending to seek teacher registration in Australia should check with state registration bodies to confirm English Language Proficiency requirements for teacher registration. *Disclaimer: The Course entry requirements above are for 2023 Admission.
|Campus||Fees||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Melbourne (St Patrick's)||International: $51,136||No|
|Strathfield (Mount Saint Mary)||International: $51,136||No|