Australia is a large country with a range of climates and diverse and beautiful landscapes. All of Australia's capital cities provide the vibrant, cosmopolitan lifestyle and multicultural society that you would expect, but each city has its own special character and charm. Remember, there is at least a one-day drive (sometimes much longer) between each city and in some instances over four hours of air travel.
But Australia has far more to offer than its great cities. Away from the hustle, bustle and excitement of the more populated areas you will find:
- the tropical north of Australia, with its lush green foliage and relaxed outdoor lifestyle
- the 'red centre', with its extensive 'outback' areas and vast desert landscapes
- natural wonders such as the Great Barrier Reef and Uluru, beautiful bushland, magnificent gorges and breathtaking sunsets
- unique plants and animals found nowhere else in the world
- stunning sandy beaches and surf, and plenty of water activities
- skiing and snowboarding in the mountains during the winter months.
Read through the links on the left-hand menu to find out about the many attractions in each of Australia's states and territories.