More information about University of Tasmania - Foundation Studies Add
The University of Tasmania (UTAS) has a long history of providing academic preparation programs for students seeking to undertake university study in Australia. With approximately 3500 international students from over 90 countries, UTAS offers students pathways that maximise their full potential. UTAS continues to be a popular university for international students.
Independent Government studies have shown that UTAS has one of the highest completion rates for international students in Australia. Around 94% of our students graduate (Carrick Institute, 2009). Small class sizes, enthusiastic teachers and excellent student support, all contribute to this successful record.
The UTAS diploma and foundation programs feature the following advantages:
- high success rate in progression to a University of Tasmania degree
- provide sound study practices and academic knowledge required for success in an Australian university
- subjects are taught in small groups, by teachers who are also university lecturers and tutors, and have comprehensive knowledge of first year university subjects in their respective fields
- students have an opportunity to participate in university lectures which can assist in preparing for university life and learning
- students have access to all UTAS facilities and receive discounts for transport, movies and other benefits through their UTAS student card.
- International College: AUD$13,500
- Foundation Studies Program: AUD$9900 (equating to just over AUD$353 per week)
- Application fee: Free
- Airport pick-up: Free
* Based on fees as at June 2011.
- ongoing English and academic support is provided free to students once they have started their academic program through one-on-one sessions with English teachers, provided by EnglishAssist
- individual confidential assistance on personal wellbeing and academic matters
- information on practical matters such as visas, employment, finances and study or enrolment concerns
- liaising with academic and student support staff on relevant matters
- conducting regular monitoring of students' academic progress each semester
- pre-departure information to help you plan for your travel to Tasmania.
The Foundation Studies Program (FSP) is an intensive 28-week preparation course for direct entry to most undergraduate degree courses offered by UTAS. The program is specifically designed for students who need to upgrade their academic results to meet university entry requirements. Currently offered in Hobart, it prepares students for study at either our Hobart or Launceston campuses. The FSP offers three major study streams including science and engineering; business and finance; and culture and communication.
Successful completion of the FSP provides direct entry to most degree courses at UTAS including:
- environmental, marine or Antarctic science
- engineering (marine, civil, mechanical or naval architecture)
Note: This does not include medicine or psychology. Students must have one of the following:
- an IELTS score of 5.5 overall with no score below 5.0
- TOEFL (PBT) 527 and TWE 4
- TOEFL (iBT) 60 with no score less than 17
- PTE Academic 43 with no score lower than 36
- Foundation Access provides a pathway for students with an IELTS score of 5.0.
Students are taught in small groups by university tutors who have a sound knowledge of first-year university subjects. Students become familiar with the content of their first-year subjects and cover some of the topics in this program.