More information about University of New South Wales (UNSW) - Institute of Languages Add
Located on campus at the University of New South Wales (UNSW), the UNSW Institute of Languages has been operating for more than 40 years and has established a reputation for excellence in language education nationally and internationally.
The UNSW Institute of Languages is renowned as one of Australia's most comprehensive English language schools, offering a broad range of English language programs, including academic English, general English and professional English. Courses are offered from beginner through to advanced levels and are designed to suit the requirements of students wishing to improve their English skills to gain entry to university or sharpen their general English and professional communication skills.
Why study at the UNSW Institute of Languages?
- The institute is wholly owned by UNSW, one of Australia's leading teaching and research universities.
- In operation for over 40 years, the institute continues to provide successful and consistent language training to students from around the world.
- The institute runs pathway courses to UNSW undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- In 2010, the institute celebrated its third anniversary as an IELTS test centre, with over 20,000 students examined.
- The institute's curriculum is developed by experienced and highly qualified teachers, all with postgraduate TESOL qualifications and more than half with a masters degree.
- The institute's staff provide quality teaching in award-winning teaching facilities.
- Students at the institute are a culturally diverse mix of over 30 nationalities.
- A recent survey found that 95 per cent of students felt that the institute provides a safe and secure place to learn.
- The institute is located close to beautiful beaches and is only 15 minutes from Sydney's CBD.
The UNSW Institute of Languages is located on two UNSW campuses: one at Kensington and the other at Randwick. Resources and technology available to students at both campuses include computer laboratories and a library support unit. Students at the institute enjoy access to support services including academic counselling, accommodation assistance, social and sporting programs, free wi-fi access and more.
The English for academic purposes program is designed to enable students to prepare for academic study at tertiary level. Teaching and learning activities are focused on developing the key language skills necessary for successful study in an English-speaking tertiary-level learning environment. The English for academic purposes program leads to direct entry into UNSW Foundation Studies through the pre-foundation year English (PFY) course. The institute conducts the university English entry course (UEEC) for students who have received a conditional offer to UNSW but narrowly missed the English requirement. UEEC is the only recognised English entry course for UNSW and achieves an 85 per cent student success rate. Students who have a conditional offer from UNSW and who successfully complete the UEEC are not required to sit an IELTS or TOEFL test for direct admission to their undergraduate or postgraduate degree.
General English courses are offered at seven levels from beginner to advanced. Students learn practical English and develop skills and confidence to enable them use English in real situations outside the classroom.
Professional English courses are aimed at developing students' English language skills to help achieve career goals. Specialised professional English courses include:
- English for business communication
- English for law
- English for medical professionals.
223 Anzac Parade, Kensington NSW 2033 Australia
22 King Street, Randwick NSW 2034 Australia