More information about Monash University - Faculty of Information Technology Add
The Monash community includes over 62,000 students from over 130 countries. Monash is the only university in Australia's prestigious Group of Eight to have a dedicated Faculty of Information Technology, recognising the importance of information technology as a separate group of disciplines, ranging from business information systems and multimedia applications, to computer science and software engineering.
Prestige and global recognition
Monash University is ranked 60th amont the top universities in the world (2011 QS World University Rankings). This ranking is based on an international survey of over 5000 academics.
Monash is well known for its leadership in the information technology (IT) field. In this field, an international profile is very important because the IT labour force is less restrictive than many other disciplines in terms of nationally based practice requirements. As a result, IT professionals tend to be globally mobile. About 50 per cent of enrolments are from international students, who provide a diversity of input and perspective that enhances the experience for all students.
Renowned research excellence
The Faculty of Information Technology is one of the largest research organisations in Australia, with over 80 per cent of the academic staff research qualified to PhD or masters level, and around 200 students undertaking PhD and masters by research projects.
IT research at Monash is characterised by five broad strengths:
- decision support and enterprise systems - research on the characteristics of systems that support strategic decision making
- intelligent systems - research to improve the intelligence of computationalsystems and processes, including both artificial and natural computation
- multimedia computing, communications and applications - research on multimedia signal processing and management; innovative compression techniques; multimedia features for effective and efficient indexing and retrieval; and innovative multimedia applications
- distributed systems and software engineering - research on the foundations, methods, tools and environments for conceptualising, modelling, analysing, developing, maintaining and benchmarking large parallel, distributed and pervasive systems
- organisational and social informatics - focusing on the information and knowledge needs of people and how these can be met across time and place with the aid of appropriate information technologies.
The faculty teaches and conducts research on four Australian campuses (Berwick, Caulfield, Clayton and Gippsland), as well as at the Malaysia campus and at Monash South Africa. World-class facilities include more than 1500 work stations networked across the Australian teaching campuses, which are upgraded every two to three years.
Furthermore, the faculty is widely recognised for the strength of its off-campus learning programs in IT, with the Gippsland campus providing a specialised focus on off-campus learning in the IT disciplines.
IT courses at Monash cover a wide range of specialities and cater for students with all academic backgrounds. Courses are available at all levels, from undergraduate (bachelor and honours) degrees, through to graduate certificates and diplomas, and on to masters (research, coursework or minor thesis) and doctorate degrees. Programs are offered across all IT disciplines, from business and information systems management to technical specialisations such as network computing, digital communications, software engineering and multimedia applications.
Courses are closely aligned with industry needs. This means that an IT degree from Monash equips students with the skills and knowledge to be adaptable in a rapidly changing IT environment. Degrees allow students to tailor a course to suit their personal, academic and career aspirations.
The range of programs offered means that Monash is able to provide courses that cater for students who wish to study a range of technical and specialised IT fields, as well as courses for those who wish to acquire IT competencies and who do not have an undergraduate background in IT.
Choose to study IT at Monash
Monash offers excellent facilities and a diversity of IT courses and location options, as well as the profile and prestige to command the attention of any employer. Its range of course offerings, outstanding global profile, high academic standards and research achievements make Monash University the place to study IT.
Northways Road CHURCHILL VIC Australia
Wellington Road CLAYTON VIC Australia
900 Dandenong Road CAULFIELD EAST VIC Australia